Freezer version of Tex Mex Lasagna

I stumbled upon a similar recipe not long ago, but tweaked it a bit to better reflect some of the issues I typically have with some of the "once-a-month cooking" type meals, where while I do the prep work on one day, I then still have to do a lot of cooking when I want to cook the meal. So, I changed this to do most of the cooking in advance. :)

I've not tried it yet, and probably won't until I have a bit of room in the freezer. Right now, the freezer is so packed with antelope and mule deer, plus elk from last year, that I think if Mac or I get a deer during hunting season, we're either donating it or buying a freezer! I am pondering making 3 versions of it, when I do prepare it. Version 1 will be antelope, Version 2 elk, and Version 3, mule deer.

You will need:

  • ¾ Cup Salsa
  • 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
  • 3 T Taco Seasoning
  • 1 ¾ Cup Cottage Cheese
  • 2 Eggs
  • ¾ tsp Oregano
  • 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 6 flour tortillas
  1. Brown ground meat and drain.
  2. Combine the following in a small bowl: ¾ Cup Salsa, 1 Cup Tomato Sauce, 3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning.
  3. Mix the salsa mixture with the ground meat and simmer for 5 minutes, on medium heat, stirring frequently.
  4. Allow to cool, and place into a gallon Ziploc bag.
  5. Blend the following in a bowl: 1 ¾ Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Eggs, ¾ teaspoon Oregano. Pour into a quart Ziploc bag.
  6. Measure 1 Cup cheese into a quart Ziploc bag.
  7. Place 6 flour tortillas in a gallon Ziploc bag.
  8. Place the gallon Ziploc bags containing the meat and tortillas in another gallon Ziploc bag, and place the two quart Ziploc bags into this Ziploc bag as well.
Remove bag from freezer and thaw completely in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 375. Line bottom of greased 8x8 pan with 4 of the tortillas arranged so their edges are overlapping. Top with ½ of the meat mixture. Spoon all of cottage cheese mixture over the meat. Arrange remaining tortillas over cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat mixture and distribute shredded cheese over the top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whirlwind Weekend in LA!

Introducing Mauser, Our New Family Member

Travel Without Leaving Home!